The Elementary Educator Courses are designed to help elementary teachers and teacher candidates boost their math skills. They have been developed by an Ontario certified teacher with a PhD focused specifically on math education.
Currently these courses are in Beta format, meaning that we are actively collecting feedback from those enrolled in the course, and the content of the course may change over time.
These courses are being offered as online, self-paced modules with access to discussion forums to discuss concepts, share ideas, and reach course instructors.
There is no time limit to finishing them and they should take between 10 – 20 hours to complete (depending on the course).
Each course is a combination of videos, text, and interactive elements. While the focus is on the math (not pedagogy or how to teach these concepts) we have included lots of resources for you to take back to your classroom.
Currently these courses are being offered for free.
We currently have 3 courses open for registration:
- Operations – Part 1: explore the four main operations (+, -, x, /) across whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and negative numbers
- Mathematical Modelling: mathematical modelling is part of the math curriculum from grades 1 – 6, but isn’t well defined in the curriculum. This course looks at understanding what a mathematical model is, how to create one, and how to interpret information presented to you
- Financial Literacy: this course thoroughly explores concepts in financial literacy including how money systems work, taxes, making a budget, and more.
You can register for any (or all) of these courses on our Course Page
- Problem Solving and Proofs
- Games, Logic, and Coding
- Plus mini-courses on Infinity, Graph Theory, Binary and Other Base Systems, Probability, and more…